Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dad

Dear Dad,

Even now when someone asks me which of the High Peaks I would consider to be my favorite I without fail will say Algonquin. If they ask why, I can give them all of the canned answers… “The view is amazing!” or “I love the bald summit!” or even “It’s just so accessible from the Loj Road.” But really, Wright fulfills all of these requirements and is an even easier hike.

Whenever I dole out all of these typical answers, it almost feels dishonest. There’s no way that the person asking could know, but I’m not telling them the truth. I’m telling them the convenient facts, but to explain to them my real reasons would be much harder. 

I would never be able to fully describe the feeling of a ten year old girl in her purple Sketcher sneakers, L.L. Bean backpack and (whoa! Could that really be?) a cotton t-shirt hiking her first high peak with her dad. They would never be able to feel the anxiety that I felt at the summit when it seemed that if I let loose my tight grip on your hand I might blow away. Neither would they understand how by the time we were headed down the other side towards Avalanche Lake in the pouring rain, I was so fascinated by the way the water evacuated puddles when I stomped in them that I made it my mission to plod my foot in every one I could find. I’ve never been so soaked.

Taking a ten year old for her first 15 mile hike on a windy rain-soaked day was actually pretty brave of you. Maybe you knew I could handle it, but that day could have certainly gone quite wrong. At the very least I could’ve been miserably wet, instead of enjoying it. You had no way of knowing this then, but if that day had turned miserable it would have had a huge influence on my entire life. 

As it was, I’ve never had a better day in the High Peaks. I may have hiked most of the rest of the 46 Peaks with Mom, but credit definitely belongs to you for getting me started. From my love of the mountains stemmed my love for all things outdoors. I’ll never know what possessed you that week, but I am so thankful that you took a risk and brought be along.

I largely have you to thank for this passion that has become such a crucial facet of my personality. From our Dads and Kids outing club to our backpacking trips in British Columbia to your support of my NOLS trip, I’ll always appreciate the thirst for adventure that you instilled in me. I can even trace back my raft guiding to interests that you kindled. 

I know I don’t tell you how much I appreciate you enough Dad, but here’s a step. I’ll never be able to thank you enough for the tools that you gave me that allow me to do these things that I love so much. Without these passions, I have no idea who I’d be. While they certainly don’t encompass who I am, I believe they serve as a pretty solid backbone. 

I’m so lucky to have a dad like you who has so much to teach. They’re real gifts, Dad.

I love you.
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment